The Basilica of Santa Maria di Caravaggio (Our Lady from Caravaggio) occupies a large space near Porta Ticinese, one of the most important medieval city gates in Milan. The building, built in 1911 in a former country area converted into a working class district during the area’s industrialization, has the structure of an ancient Basilica with brick walls and marble inserts, according to a style that was meant to resemble traditional Romanesque architecture.
Heavily damaged by bombing during World War Two, the back area was entirely rebuilt. Today, the Basilica of Our Lady from Caravaggio cherishes a beautiful Crypt, which is completely covered by mosaics and that contains statues that evoke the famous apparition of the Virgin Mary at Caravaggio, a small town near Bergamo.
The church’s lighting system was recently renovated with new spotlights, LED sources and control systems that allow pre-programmed switching times.
The lighting project, curated by the studio headed by Fabio Castoldi – with the collaboration of the Consulting Centre of Disano illuminazione (arch. Piero Peruzzi) – has kept the same number of light points, while considerably reducing more than 50% of power consumption and increasing the amount of emitted light.
- Posted by Redazione
- On May 15, 2017
- 0 Comments